OpenAI’s New AI Models: GPT-4 Turbo and ChatGPT
OpenAI, the leading artificial intelligence (AI) research company, has made several major announcements regarding new AI models and products at their first-ever Dev Day event. These new offerings promise to be a game changer for AI developers and businesses looking to leverage advanced natural language processing technology.
An Overview of OpenAI and Their AI Milestones
Founded in 2015, OpenAI is a San Francisco-based AI research company with the mission to ensure that artificial general intelligence benefits all of humanity.
Some key milestones for OpenAI:
- November 2021 – OpenAI launched ChatGPT in a private research preview. ChatGPT is a conversational AI chatbot built on the GPT-3 language model.
- March 2022 – OpenAI unveiled GPT-4, claimed to be the most advanced AI language model in the world at the time.
- July 2022 – OpenAI added computer vision and speech capabilities to ChatGPT, allowing it to see, hear and respond verbally.
- October 2022 – OpenAI introduced DALL-E 3, a state-of-the-art image generation model.
For enterprise customers, OpenAI launched ChatGPT Enterprise with added security, speed, and capabilities. OpenAI’s API is also used by over 2 million developers for various applications.
GPT-4 Turbo: A Major Upgrade to OpenAI’s Language Model
The biggest announcement from OpenAI’s Dev Day is the launch of GPT-4 Turbo, a next generation upgrade to the GPT-4 language model. Here are some of the key improvements offered by GPT-4 Turbo:
1. Longer Context Length
- GPT-4 supported up to 8,192 tokens of context length.
- GPT-4 Turbo increases this to 128,000 tokens – allowing it to reference a context 300 pages long when generating text.
- This results in greater accuracy when operating on long text passages.
2. More Control Over Responses
- GPT-4 Turbo has a new JSON mode to ensure compliant JSON formatted responses.
- It offers improved function calling – able to execute multiple functions at once.
- A new reproducible outputs feature provides consistent responses given the same input and parameters.
3. Updated World Knowledge
- GPT-4 Turbo incorporates world knowledge through April 2023, reducing outdated responses.
- OpenAI promises more frequent knowledge refreshes moving forward.
4. Additional Modalities
- GPT-4 Turbo supports image inputs via integration with DALL-E 3.
- A new text-to-speech model allows high-quality audio output.
5. Customization Options
- OpenAI introduced Custom Models – specialized models trained on proprietary datasets.
6. Higher Rate Limits
- OpenAI doubled the tokens/minute for GPT-4 customers, enabling more use cases.
- A new Copyright Shield will defend customers against copyright lawsuits.
In addition to these technical improvements, GPT-4 Turbo is priced significantly lower than GPT-4, reducing costs for developers.
ChatGPT Gets Upgraded with GPT-4 Turbo
The consumer ChatGPT app has also been upgraded to use the new GPT-4 Turbo model under the hood.
Some of the changes:
- Longer context length and updated knowledge benefits ChatGPT users.
- Annoying model picker removed – ChatGPT just knows what model to use.
- Can now browse the web, run code, analyze data and generate images as needed.
These upgrades will allow ChatGPT to handle more complex conversations and requests compared to before.
GPTs – Customizable Chatbots Anyone Can Build
One of OpenAI’s biggest announcements is the launch of GPTs – customizable chatbots created using ChatGPT.
Key things to know about GPTs:
- GPTs are specialized versions of ChatGPT, tailored for specific use cases.
- They incorporate custom instructions, knowledge and actions beyond vanilla ChatGPT.
- Anyone can build a GPT – no coding required.
- GPTs can be published in the upcoming GPT Store for others to use.
- OpenAI will share revenue with popular GPT creators.
Some examples of GPTs shown by OpenAI:
- A GPT by Canva to generate design mockups through conversational prompts.
- A Zapier GPT that can automate workflows across thousands of apps.
GPTs represent a big step towards virtual assistants that can handle complex tasks on behalf of users.
Differences between GPT-3.5, GPT-3.5 Turbo, GPT-4, and GPT-4 Turbo
|Feature||GPT-3.5||GPT-3.5 Turbo||GPT-4||GPT-4 Turbo|
|Parameter count||175B||175B (optimized for chat)||100T||100T (optimized for speed)|
|Performance||Good||Good (faster than GPT-3.5)||Excellent||Excellent (faster than GPT-4)|
|Hourly prompt restrictions||Yes||No||Yes||No|
|Access to real-time information||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Ability to analyze and comment on images and graphics||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Customizable tone of voice and task||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Best use cases||Chat applications, general-purpose text generation||Chat applications, real-time information access, image analysis||Complex tasks requiring high accuracy, tasks requiring real-time information access||Complex tasks requiring high accuracy, tasks requiring real-time information access, image analysis|
Which is cheaper GPT 3.5 turbo or GPT 4 turbo?
GPT-3.5 Turbo is cheaper than GPT-4 Turbo:
- GPT-3.5 Turbo Input tokens are $0.001, and output tokens are $0.002. GPT-3.5 Turbo is a good choice for general applications, such as creating chatbots or converting natural language into database queries.
- GPT-4 TurboInput tokens are $0.01, and output tokens are $0.03. GPT-4 is best when you’re more concerned with accuracy than speed.
GPT-4 is more costly than GPT-3.5 Turbo because it’s the latest model. GPT-4 is also slower in giving responses because it’s more powerful. Using GPT-4 for a single response can consume up to 30 times more credits compared to GPT -3.5 turbo.
Different chat gpt model pricing in detail
|GPT-4-1106-preview (Input)||$0.01/1,000 tokens||Price per 1,000 tokens for the input text to the GPT-4-1106-preview model.|
|GPT-4-1106-preview (Output)||$0.03/1,000 tokens||Price per 1,000 tokens for the generated text from the GPT-4-1106-preview model.|
|GPT-4-1106-vision-preview (Input)||$0.01/1,000 tokens||Price per 1,000 tokens for the input text to the GPT-4-1106-vision-preview model.|
|GPT-4-1106-vision-preview (Output)||$0.03/1,000 tokens||Price per 1,000 tokens for the generated text from the GPT-4-1106-vision-preview model.|
|GPT-4 (Input)||$0.02/1,000 tokens||Price per 1,000 tokens for the input text to the GPT-4 model.|
|GPT-4 (Output)||$0.04/1,000 tokens||Price per 1,000 tokens for the generated text from the GPT-4 model.|
|GPT-3.5 Turbo (Input)||$0.0010/1,000 tokens||Price per 1,000 tokens for the input text to the GPT-3.5 Turbo model.|
|GPT-3.5 Turbo (Output)||$0.0020/1,000 tokens||Price per 1,000 tokens for the generated text from the GPT-3.5 Turbo model.|
|GPT-3.5 Turbo-Instruct (Input)||$0.0015/1,000 tokens||Price per 1,000 tokens for the input text to the GPT-3.5 Turbo-Instruct model.|
|GPT-3.5 Turbo-Instruct (Output)||$0.0020/1,000 tokens||Price per 1,000 tokens for the generated text from the GPT-3.5 Turbo-Instruct model.|
|Code Interpreter||$0.03/session||Price per session for using ChatGPT’s Code Interpreter feature.|
|Retrieval||$0.20/GB/assistant/day||Price per gigabyte of data stored and retrieved for use with ChatGPT.|
Assistance API – Building AI Apps of the Future
To simplify the process of building assisted AI experiences, OpenAI released the Assistance API.
Key capabilities offered:
- Persistent chat history across sessions.
- Built-in retrieval from provided documents and data.
- Code interpreter to execute Python code on the fly.
- Streamlined integration of custom functions.
The Assistance API aims to remove the heavy lifting involved in building conversational AI apps. Developers can focus on creating a great experience vs managing all the underlying infrastructure.
Early examples of apps built with the Assistance API:
- A travel planning app with a virtual assistant providing recommendations.
- Finance apps where the AI can crunch numbers, plot charts, generate reports on demand.
The Assistance API opens up many possibilities for creating intelligent apps powered by OpenAI models.
Which chat gpt model is cheaper 3.5 turbo or 4 turbo?
The model GPT-3.5-turbo-1106 is cheaper than GPT-4-1106-preview.
If we compare the total cost per 1,000 words, GPT-3.5-turbo-1106 costs $0.0030 while GPT-4-1106-preview costs $0.0400.
So, GPT-3.5-turbo-1106 is 13.33 times cheaper than GPT-4-1106-preview.
Final Thoughts on OpenAI’s Major Announcements
OpenAI’s first Dev Day marked several breakthrough releases by the AI research leader:
- GPT-4 Turbo – Next evolution of OpenAI’s flagship language model with many improvements.
- GPTs – Customizable chatbots that can be built without coding.
- Assistance API – Enables developers to easily build AI assistant apps.
These developments promise to take AI apps and services to the next level.Between the upgrades to ChatGPT itself and the new tools for developers, OpenAI has strengthened its position as a leading force in artificial intelligence. Exciting times lie ahead as these models and technologies mature!